Never making a decison is a decision unto itself

I've had the intention to write since January 2017. My initial aim to write once a month so what happened? We're at the beginning of May now. Oh! Don't get me wrong I had the titles, the first one was going to be about the importance of taking time out to relax and renew. The second one contained, what I believed to be, beautiful pearls of wisdom how each day has it's own rhythm and going with that rather than trying to control it. The third one was going to be sharing how easy it had been for me to slip into bad habits, like eating too much and neglecting my own personal practice. Last month was the story of resolve and going deep to discover new ways of being, like establishing a morning personal practice and clean eating. The sentences and paragraphs written with such clarity and precision in my head have not yet made it through my fingers onto the keyboard and onto this page. Why? Why? Why?

Well firstly, there were the excuses... the practical external ones - I didn't know how to set up a blog,  I needed a website (and didn't yet have one - I do now, check it out www.yogawithjilli.co.uk), I didn't have the time, there were more important tasks to complete and so the 'writing the blog' kept getting pushed further and further down the 'to do' list. Then came the internal excuses ... Who would want to read what I write? I'm not that good grammatically? I'm not a writer, other people write much better than me and so on and so on. Yet I know there are reasons and there are excuses and in this instance the reasons were few and the excuses many so why was I holding myself back for no apparent reason? Fear maybe?

One thing was certain, the outcome was procrastination which in turn fed the fear that has stopped me writing so what changed? For one I was fed up of seeing it on the list and rewriting it out, I got some support from a wonderful lady and ultimately I had to make it important and find the time to do it. I have long known that you will never find the time. The number of hours in a day is finite, it cannot be changed, one must find the time for the activities and pursuits that make our lives worth living. This morning one of my favourite quotes popped up .....

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

And so this evening, I put everything else aside and wrote this and you know what it took probably a fifth of the time I'd allocated to it on my list. If there's a task you are putting off, simply say to yourself I'll give it 5 minutes, if I'm enjoying it or making good progress or in flow, I'll stick with it, if not, I'll put it to one side either for later or maybe the universe has other plans for it.

Reading this back, it's not perfect, it's probably not the best blog I've ever written yet it's a start and we all have to start someone where.

What activity or decision have you been putting off? What are the benefits to giving this ago? What anxieties/fears will alleviate if you make a start? When can you find 5 minutes to make a start on it?

As Baron Baptiste says ... "Never making a decision is a decision unto itself."

Comments

  1. From tiny acorns... I enjoyed reading it, Jilli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jill. I look forward to your next blog. ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts